Senior Director, Finance
Pacific Environment seeks to protect communities and wildlife of the Pacific Rim. We support community leaders to fight climate change, protect the oceans, build just societies, and move away from fossil fuels and plastic pollution toward a green economy. Learn more at www.pacificenvironment.org.
Pacific Environment is seeking a full-time Senior Director, Finance to join our team and oversee all financial aspects of our organization. Our ideal candidate is connected to our mission, a strategic thinker and effective leader who is ready to make things happen.
Our organization is expanding rapidly, and the Director will design and execute new processes and put in place new infrastructure for an organization with an international team spread across the United States and Asian Pacific region.
To be successful in this role, you should have experience managing finance and accounting teams and leading financial strategies.
Ultimately, you will ensure Pacific Environment’s long-term financial success and sustainability.
You will report to Pacific Environment’s Head of Administration or ED.
- Oversee all accounting and internal control operations
- Develop new business processes and accounting policies to scale for growth and maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Ensure adherence to financial laws and guidelines across geographies
- Manage a team of finance and accounting staff
- Oversee accounts payable and accounts receivable, including international wires and grants to partner organizations, often overseas
- Lead the organization’s annual budgeting process and the preparation of timely reports on financial performance on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
- Oversee grant expense tracking, including grant financial reports for funders, and provide financial information for grant proposal budgets
- Oversee annual audit and ensure compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Conduct financial analysis and reporting; recommend actions to organizational leadership as needed
- Set up and oversee the company’s finance IT system
- Other tasks and duties as assigned
- Proven experience as Director of Finance or similar role, preferably at least some years in a nonprofit setting
- 7+ years of relevant combined Finance or Accounting experience; experience in nonprofit-accounting a must; experience in rapidly growing organizations a plus
- 3+ years of management experience, leading a team of at least 3+ staff
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in improving finance processes, creating efficient systems, and institutionalizing knowledge
- Experience with Finance IT and PEOs; QuickBooks, NetSuite, Bills.com, ADP experience a plus
- Hands-on experience with budgeting, financial statements, month-end and year-end close processes
- In-depth knowledge of finance and accounting principles, laws, and best practices
- Solid knowledge of financial analysis, reporting, and forecasting
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate transparency and open communication amongst staff regarding finances
- Extraordinary organizational skills, with high attention to detail and focus on accuracy and accountability
- Experience and expertise in environmental/climate issues a plus
- Education in accounting, finance or relevant field; MSc/MA is a plus
- CPA or other relevant qualification is a plus
Relevant experience for this position can take many forms, and we strongly encourage applicants from a diversity of backgrounds and sectors.
Compensation and Benefits
Pacific Environment provides compensation commensurate with experience and equitable with others on our team, plus a full benefits package for staff positions. The salary range for this position is $130,000-$155,000, which is carefully considered to account for equity, and the final offer will be based on a candidate’s qualifications. The final salary might be higher than this range, depending on organization-wide compensation decisions. The employee will enjoy a flexible working environment with a dedicated, diverse group of colleagues.
The Senior Director, Finance’s work involves remaining in a stationary position and looking at a computer for long stretches of time, communicating with co-workers electronically, and occasional travel (including overnight travel), in-person meetings, or events. The ideal candidate must be able to complete all the physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Pacific Environment has an organization-wide policy that staff must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Location and Travel
Pacific Environment staff currently work from home. Greater San Francisco Bay Area local applicants and California residents are strongly preferred. However, we will consider highly qualified candidates residing elsewhere in the U.S. This position requires working West Coast Time Zone hours, and potentially some evenings or weekends. Some travel to the Bay Area may be required if the successful candidate is based outside the greater San Francisco Bay Area. The position may also involve some other travel.
Click here to apply: https://jobs.lever.co/pacific-environment/6e9015bc-5bd6-46d8-ba9d-cdbfc5d8933b
Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from communities harmed by environmental degradation and from backgrounds underrepresented in the environmental movement to apply. We welcome diversity to do our best work and believe that creating teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to the change we seek.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Pacific Environment. Please inform our HR team by filling out this [email protected] if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application or interview process.
Pacific Environment participates in the E-Verify program: https://www.e-verify.gov/employees
No phone calls, please.