Senior Development Manager (Full-Time Position)
Pacific Environment seeks to protect communities and wildlife of the Pacific Rim. We support community leaders to fight climate change, protect the oceans, build just societies, and move away from fossil fuels and plastic pollution toward a green economy. Learn more at www.pacificenvironment.org.
We seek an experienced and highly motivated Senior Development Manager. This is an exciting opportunity for a professional to join a growing team and organization. This position is best suited for someone who has already had responsibility managing successful long-term fundraising efforts, with an emphasis on foundations, major donors, and online giving.
As Senior Development Manager, you will help develop and execute Pacific Environment’s institutional and individual fundraising strategy to raise our $10M+ and growing budget. You will support the organization’s impact tracking and produce fundraising communications. And you will work with colleagues to support the strategy development of an evolving organization.
The right candidate will have great management skills, a creative spark, attention to detail, excellent writing skills, and familiarity with environmental and social justice issues.
The Senior Development Manager will report to Pacific Environment’s Advancement Director.
Location and Travel
Pacific Environment staff currently work from home. Greater San Francisco Bay Area local applicants and California residents are strongly preferred, followed by candidates in other U.S. West Coast states, plus Anchorage, Alaska. However, we will consider highly qualified candidates residing elsewhere in the U.S. This position requires working West Coast Time Zone hours, and potentially some evenings or weekends. Some travel to the Bay Area may be required if the successful candidate is based outside the greater San Francisco Bay Area. The position may also involve some other travel.
- Help develop and manage annual and long-term fundraising strategies.
- Manage annual grants schedule, coordinate internal discussions and schedules for submission, and lead write or co-write letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports.
- Help cultivate current foundation relationships and support staff in maintaining relationships with foundation staff, including drafting touchpoints with donors and leading preparation for donor meetings.
- Research new foundations and develop and help execute a cultivation strategy to secure funding.
- Help develop major donor cultivation strategy and work with program and organizational leadership staff to execute an annual cultivation plan.
- Plan and execute year-end fundraising campaign via direct mail and online fundraising.
- Help develop and coordinate an annual online fundraising plan in collaboration with the Communications Department.
- Work with program and communications staff to stay informed and convey organizational results and impact via donor stewardship and communications materials, e.g., email updates, tailored year-end impact reports, tailored asks, etc.
- Track and manage incoming grants and gifts, including grant contracts and donor acknowledgements.
- Maintain donor database.
- Manage other tasks as assigned.
- A minimum of 5 years experience fundraising, cultivating donor relationships, and writing grants.
- A proven track record of individually leading some successful fundraising efforts, including online fundarising.
- Experience developing and managing a successful annual fundraising strategy to meet budget goals of at least $1M annually.
- Experience identifying prospects and initiating new relationships.
- Proficient strategic thinker and problem-solver.
- Ability to consider challenges as opportunities and be unafraid to try new approaches.
- Experience as a creative and compelling storyteller who can combine research and data with strong narratives to communicate organizational impact and objectives.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, and demonstrated success meeting deadlines over long time horizons.
- Passion for working with diverse teams and a demonstrated commitment to promoting environmental protection and building an equitable and sustainable society.
Some great candidates may not check all the boxes above, and may have valuable skills not included here. If that’s you, please don’t hesitate to apply and tell us why you would thrive in this role.
Compensation and Benefits
Pacific Environment provides compensation commensurate with experience and equitable with others on our team, plus a full benefits package for staff positions. The salary range for this position is $84,000 to $96,000, which is carefully considered to account for equity, and the final offer will be based on candidate’s qualifications. The employee will enjoy a flexible working environment with a dedicated, diverse group of colleagues.
The Senior Development Manager’s work involves remaining in a stationary position and looking at a computer for long stretches of time, communicating with co-workers electronically, and occasional travel (including overnight travel), in-person meetings, or events. The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation. If you require reasonable accommodation to complete this job application, pre-employment testing, or a job interview, or to otherwise participate in this hiring process, please contact: [email protected]
Pacific Environment has an organization-wide policy that staff must be vaccinated against Covid-19.
Click here to apply: https://jobs.lever.co/pacific-environment/d8857afb-abbf-451e-847c-5dcebf999833
Applications encouraged by April 21, 2023. The position will remain open until filled, and we encourage even late applications.
Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from communities harmed by environmental degradation and from backgrounds underrepresented in the environmental movement to apply. We welcome diversity to do our best work and believe that creating teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to the change we seek.
No phone calls, please.