(Senior) Arctic Program Officer
We are looking for an Arctic Program Officer who will work in a team setting with Pacific Environment leaders and those from allied organizations.
Reporting to the Arctic Program Director, the Program Officer will provide leadership on Arctic issues and campaigns.
We are particularly interested in candidates with experience in one or more of the following subjects and geographies:
- Collaborating with Alaska Native and Russian indigenous peoples
- Marine policy at domestic and international levels
- Coordination and leadership of strong coalitions
- Alaska state and federal outreach
- Understanding of Arctic climate and energy issues
- Grassroots and “grasstops” organizing
There is significant opportunity for the Program Officer to expand Pacific Environment’s range of activities in these focal areas. The position’s responsibilities include strategic planning, campaign development and implementation, outreach to civic leaders (at state, federal and international levels), and contributing to fundraising with foundations and individuals.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated achievement, leadership, and campaign skills relevant to one or more of the thematic focus areas listed above. They will also possess excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
Location, Travel and Hours of Work
This full-time position will be based at Pacific Environment’s Anchorage office. The position will require frequent international and domestic travel.
- B.A./B.S. degree or equivalent experience. Advanced degrees and relevant experience are a strong plus.
- Demonstrated experience and achievement in strategic advocacy, policy, and campaign work.
- Experience in one or more of the policy areas and/or geographies listed above.
- Demonstrated success in leadership and program implementation. Management experience a plus.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated success as an effective team player and collaborator with allied stakeholders.
- Ability to develop strong, constructive relationships with local environmental groups, government agencies, scientists, and indigenous and political leaders.
- Demonstrated success in foundation fundraising a plus. Experience in individual fundraising a plus.
- Personal commitment to helping communities to have a strong voice in decision making.
- A strong sense of humor.
Compensation and Benefits
This position will be either a senior program officer or program officer, depending on the candidate’s qualifications. The salary and benefits package will be commensurate with experience. The employee will enjoy a flexible working environment with a dedicated, diverse group of colleagues.
How to Apply
- In a separate document, please answer the following question in 100–250 words:
“Due to climate change, Arctic sea ice is melting, creating new shipping routes and industrial threats to Arctic communities and the environment on which they depend. What can be done to ensure that these communities are resilient to the changes underway and have a voice in decision making?”
- Please send an email with “Arctic Program Officer” in the subject line and your resume, cover letter, references, salary history, and answer to the question in #1 to [email protected].
- This position will remain open until filled. All applications received by August 25, 2017, will definitely be reviewed.
About Pacific Environment
Pacific Environment seeks to protect the communities and biodiversity of the Pacific Rim by strengthening local leadership and championing social justice in Russia, China, Alaska and the Arctic, and elsewhere. With a 30-year record of achievement and a team of 12, we partner extensively with groups in other countries and focus on marine, energy and climate, pollution, and wildlife and watershed protection.
Pacific Environment values diversity. Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, class, sex, creed, ethnicity, race, national origin, physical or mental ability, sexual orientation, gender expression, and veteran status.
No phone calls, please.