HR Generalist (Full-Time Position)
Pacific Environment seeks to protect communities and wildlife of the Pacific Rim. We support community leaders to fight climate change, protect the oceans, build just societies, and move away from fossil fuels and plastic pollution toward a green economy. Learn more at www.pacificenvironment.org.
Pacific Environment is seeking a Human Resources (HR) Generalist to join our team and drive day-to-day HR operations of our growing organization. Our ideal candidate is operations-minded, connected to our mission, has experience with both HR and recruiting projects, loves to interact with people, possesses great communication skills, and is ready to roll their sleeves up and make things happen.
Our first ever HR Generalist will assist in the development and administration of human resources programs to attract, retain, and develop our team members. Our ideal candidate will have experience advising and assisting employees on day-to-day questions and concerns related to hiring, onboarding/offboarding, benefits, learning & development, and performance management.
It’s a plus if the candidate also has experience supporting the range of operational needs of our organization (HR policies, remote and workplace needs, growth/scaling management). We’re committed to training and development for the right candidate, so please consider applying regardless of if you meet 100% of the criteria we’ve outlined above. Your overarching goal will be to efficiently and effectively clear hurdles for our program teams on their paths to success.
You will report to Pacific Environment’s HR Director.
- Own and support day-to-day HR operations at the company.
- Manage key workflows in our HR technical systems, including improvements and changes as we grow and evolve.
- Manage daily benefits administration, including educating and providing benefit information to candidates and employees and medical and/or family leaves; support annual enrollment programs as needed.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance with Federal, State and San Francisco-specific requirements are met and reflected in company policies and programs.
- Provide support for employee relations situations that may arise.
- Work with hiring managers to drive recruiting efforts, ensure job descriptions and postings are consistent across functions and compliant; and create and send new hire offer letters.
- Partner with Finance & Operations to plan and facilitate on-boarding and off-boarding.
- Work with Finance & Operations to ensure employees are classified and paid correctly.
- Identify and administer employee training to ensure knowledge, community and legal compliance.
- Facilitate our Justice, Equity, and Diversity Initiatives team and programs.
- Manage other tasks and duties as assigned.
- 3+ years of relevant HR and/or Recruiting experience; experience in nonprofit advocacy-campaign organization a plus; experience in rapidly growing organizations a plus.
- Experience with HR technology; Lever and ADP experience is helpful.
- Hands-on experience with administration of benefits, on-boarding, off-boarding, and payroll.
- Experience in compliance with applicable laws, including implementing new policies and process documents.
- Familiarity with current CA and federal employment laws, such as FMLA.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience supporting employees at all levels of an organization.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate transparency and open communication amongst employees.
- Extraordinary organizational skills, with high attention to detail and focus on accuracy and accountability.
- Experience and expertise in environmental/climate issues a plus.
Relevant experience for this position can take many forms, and we strongly encourage applicants from a diversity of backgrounds and sectors.
Compensation and Benefits
Pacific Environment provides compensation commensurate with experience and equitable with others on our team, plus a full benefits package for staff positions. The salary range for this position is $75,000-$100,000, which is carefully considered to account for equity, and the final offer will be based on a candidate’s qualifications. The final salary might be higher than this range, depending on organization-wide compensation decisions. The employee will enjoy a flexible working environment with a dedicated, diverse group of colleagues.
The HR Generalist’s work involves remaining in a stationary position and looking at a computer for long stretches of time, communicating with co-workers electronically, and occasional travel (including overnight travel), in-person meetings, or events. The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Pacific Environment has an organization-wide policy that staff must be vaccinated against Covid-19.
Location and Travel
Pacific Environment staff currently work from home. Greater San Francisco Bay Area local applicants and California residents are strongly preferred, followed by candidates located in other states on the U.S. West Coast, plus Anchorage, Alaska. However, we will consider highly qualified candidates residing elsewhere in the U.S. This position requires working West Coast Time Zone hours, and potentially some evenings or weekends. Some travel to the Bay Area may be required if the successful candidate is based outside the greater San Francisco Bay Area. The position may also involve some other travel.
Click here to apply: https://jobs.lever.co/pacific-environment/27e2b026-b546-400d-b56b-9af195ae4b93
Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from communities harmed by environmental degradation and from backgrounds underrepresented in the environmental movement to apply. We welcome diversity to do our best work and believe that creating teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to the change we seek.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Pacific Environment. Please inform our HR team by filling out this [email protected] if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application or interview process.
Pacific Environment participates in the E-Verify program: https://www.e-verify.gov/employees
No phone calls, please.