Digital Communications Associate
Pacific Environment seeks to protect communities and wildlife of the Pacific Rim. We support community leaders to fight climate change, protect the oceans, build just societies, and move away from fossil fuels toward a green economy. Learn more at www.pacificenvironment.org.
Pacific Environment is campaigning to end fossil fuel use, including to get ships off fossil fuels. Our strategies include creating strong regulatory frameworks to achieve zero-emission shipping in a timeline commensurate with the climate emergency, pressuring corporate customers to demand zero-emission ships, and influencing ports on the Pacific West Coast and beyond to end fossil fuel build out and ready themselves for zero-emission shipping instead.
The Digital Communications Associate will execute digital communications and content for campaigns on climate, zero-emission shipping, and protection of Arctic peoples and wildlife. You will produce engaging and motivating digital materials (video scripts, social media copy, etc.) for Pacific Environment campaigns; create and manage graphics across our platforms; take photos; film and edit videos; and manage websites and social media accounts. You will play a central role in Pacific Environment’s community mobilization and advocacy strategies, helping inspire people to take urgent actions for climate, marine, and Arctic protection.
The ideal candidate will have a strong record of effective communications to advance advocacy campaigns, strong content production and digital advocacy skills, an urgency to defeat the champions of fossil fuel use, a passion for protecting communities and wildlife, and a commitment to environmental justice and equity.
The Digital Communications Associate will report to the Senior Communications Manager.
Location and Travel
The Associate can be based in San Francisco or Anchorage, Alaska. The position may involve some domestic and international travel (only when safe and allowable regarding Covid-19 conditions).
- 3 or more years of relevant experience in digital communications work, with increasing responsibility and achievement
- A record of accomplishment of producing compelling visual content, including graphics, video, and multimedia, that influence public opinion and inspire action
- Experience growing and activating grassroots supporters
- Skilled in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere, or similar multimedia programs
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects without sacrificing quality
- Experience with analytical tools to evaluate impact of digital communications across platforms a plus
- Experience with WordPress and Action Network a plus
- Experience in community organizing is a strong plus
- Commitment to helping communities have a strong voice in decision-making
Compensation and Benefits
Pacific Environment provides compensation commensurate with experience and equitable with others on our team, plus a full benefits package. The salary range for this position is $50,000-$65,000, which is carefully considered to account for equity. The employee will enjoy a flexible working environment with a dedicated, diverse group of colleagues.
Send by email a short cover letter, resume, 3-5 examples of your graphic design work (in jpeg, png, PDF, or via online links), and 3 references to [email protected] with “Digital Communications Associate” in the subject line. Please also answer the following question:
- QUESTION: In 250 words, tell us about your most successful, effective use of digital communications, including what you achieved.
Applications encouraged by May 28, 2021. The position will remain open until filled, and we encourage even late applications.
Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and believe that creating teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to the change we seek. We encourage people from communities harmed by environmental degradation and from backgrounds underrepresented in the environmental movement to apply.
No phone calls, please.