Climate Policy Associate
Pacific Environment seeks to protect communities and wildlife of the Pacific Rim. We support community leaders to fight climate change, protect the oceans, build just societies, and move away from fossil fuels toward a green economy. Learn more at www.pacificenvironment.org.
Pacific Environment is campaigning to end fossil fuel use, including to get ships off fossil fuels. Our strategies include creating strong regulatory frameworks to achieve zero-emission shipping on a timeline commensurate with the climate emergency; pressuring corporate customers to demand zero-emission ships; and influencing ports on the Pacific West Coast and beyond to end fossil fuel build-out and ready themselves for zero-emission shipping instead.
We encourage people from communities harmed by environmental degradation and from backgrounds underrepresented in the environmental movement to apply to this position. We recognize that we need diversity to do meaningful work in the climate space and believe that creating teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to the change we seek. Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer.
Pacific Environment seeks a Climate Policy Associate to support our climate policy team and provide critical policy support for Pacific Environment’s campaigns on zero-emission shipping and ports. They will provide research, writing, and analytical support to execute the Climate Program’s legislative and campaign priorities, and administrative support for meetings, and events. This position is well-suited for someone who is interested in policy advocacy and has a passion for solving the climate crisis. Legislative experience is preferred.
This position will report to the State Climate Policy Director.
The position has a flexible location, with Sacramento, CA, preferred. While most work will be completed remotely, there will be occasional travel obligations for in-person meetings and events, once travel is again safe in terms of Covid-19.
- Research, tracking, and analysis to support policy development
- Advocating before the State Legislature, at regulatory hearings, and stakeholder meetings
- Drafting initial position letters, public testimony, fact sheets, and policy papers
- Administrative, meeting, and logistics support to execute campaign activities and events
- 2-5 years of previous work experience, particularly with policy advocacy or environmental and social change organizations
- Familiarity with California legislative and regulatory landscape and process
- Meticulous attention to detail and quality of work product
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to problem-solve and manage competing priorities is essential
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Discretion in maintaining confidential information
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and online research tools is necessary
- Experience with Dropbox and Microsoft Suite a plus
Relevant experience for this position can take many forms, and we strongly encourage applicants from a diversity of backgrounds.
The Climate Policy Associate’s work involves sitting and looking at a computer for long stretches of time, communicating with co-workers electronically, and occasional in-person meetings or events. The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Compensation and Benefits
Pacific Environment provides compensation commensurate with experience and equitable with others on our team, plus a full benefits package for staff positions. The salary range for this position is $58,000-$72,000, which is carefully considered to account for equity. The employee will enjoy a flexible working environment with a dedicated, diverse group of colleagues.
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter via email, with the subject line “Climate Policy Associate” to [email protected]. Applications encouraged by September 16, 2022. The position will remain open until filled, and we encourage even late applications.
No phone calls, please.